Full time Mum & Business Woman, Michelle Taylor talks business and philanthropy
Full time mum and designer dress hire business owner, Michelle Taylor somehow found time in her busy schedule to participate in something really inspiring and we want to share it with you!
Michelle’s daily routine starts with getting her 2 kids ready for school and jetting off to her brand new showroom for her designer dress hire business Get Dressed Hire.
She spends her day helping women find the perfect dress(es) for any event, packing and shipping orders, answering customer queries, and 1000 other small business owner activities.
We suspect she may be hiding a few extra limbs, but this has yet to be confirmed.
- What inspired you to start Get Dressed Hire? I come from a big family from Lebanon and we attend a lot of big weddings that require us to wear 2 dresses! When my husband said I couldn’t buy a new dress for my cousin’s wedding, I thought about turning my wardrobe full of beautiful dresses into a hiring business, and now he can never tell me I can’t buy a new dress again!
When your husband asks to see your receipt
- What was your job before you started GDH? Whilst I set up Get Dressed Hire, I was working in finance full time. I would work all day, pick up the kids from daycare, then see clients from home every evening late into the night, and all weekend. I did that for 2 years before I took the leap and quit my finance job to concentrate solely on GDH.
We’ve all been here…
- What is your favourite part of your job? I love seeing the smile on my clients faces when I find them the perfect dress… they feel a million dollars. I love hearing how much they loved the dresses and how many compliments they received… it’s the best part of my job! AND receiving new stock each week 🙂
Get it gurl
- How and when did you get involved with Dress for Success? When Rebecca (from Culinarius Catering) where first discussing running an event 3 years ago, DfS were just starting out in the area and we both felt that it was such a great charity, and aligned well with both our businesses. We approached the Chair of the Illawarra branch who was thrilled with the idea, and has been onboard with us ever since. We have helped them raise awareness, as well as over $5,000!
- As a business woman in the fashion industry, helping women choose outfits for all sorts of events, what is the correlation between confidence and clothing? Nothing beats the feel, look and quality of a designer dress. When a woman looks amazing she feels amazing, and we help them achieve that. We don’t let women hire a dress unless they love it- we’re not here to push a sale or make anyone feel that have to hire anything. We don’t want anyone to walk out of the boutique unless they’re completely comfortable in their look, and know they’re going to rock their outfit!
Wise words from the Bad Gal
- We understand you are involved with the upcoming event ‘Fashion Gala & Cocktail Party’, can you give us a rundown of what ladies can expect at the party? This year we’re so excited to change up the format of our event; each year we’ve done a sit down High Tea and Spring Fashion Parade on a Sunday, showcasing the upcoming Spring trends. This year, we’ve gone for a ‘Met Gala’ inspired, high end fashion gala and cocktail party on a Saturday night! There’ll be amazing raffle prizes, an auction for our major prize, market stalls, a glass of Moet on arrival, plus a DJ. Dress code is whatever makes you feel glam and fabulous! Our official Afterparty venue is Humbar nightclub.
- Where can we purchase tickets – Is it too late?! Tickets are available through Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/fashion-gala-cocktail-party-tickets-45231767434. $10 from each ticket sold goes to Dress for Success.
Bring ANYONE but Grandpa Joe, PLEASE
- How can we get involved for next year, if not this year? Your support is invaluable! However, if you’d like to donate a headpiece to our raffle (all proceeds to DfS) that would be amazing!
Pssttt! We have donated the ‘Layla’ headpiece from our new Spring Collection!
- Finally, what is your best advice for women starting a business from scratch? “When you find an idea that you just can’t stop thinking about, that’s probably a good one to pursue”. Take a leap and go for it! Surround yourself with positive, inspirational and successful people who support you and build your network.
You can visit Michelle at her store Get Dressed Hire in Wollongong, NSW